PLEASE SEND TO ANY ONE WHO MAY NEED THIS INFO:
Copied this from a friend. It's good advice. If you agree, feel free to share.
A few hurricane tricks for those who may need it:
1. Start running your ice makers now and bagging the ice in freezer bags. Fill as much space in between your freezer items as you can.
2. Freeze regular tap water for pets, cleaning or drinking in tupperware-type containers. REMEMBER to leave a small bit of space between the top of the water & the lids so the ice expands but doesn't crack the container.
3. Start using up your perishables to make more room for ice in the freezer.
4. Fill up all vehicles & check tires & oil.
5. Cash from ATM, at least enough to get you through tolls and gas out of town. Call your bank if you plan on leaving the state so they don't freeze your card for out-of-area "suspicious" transactions.
6. All important docs screenshot & send to your email. Take originals in sealed bags or plastic bins. If you use the "cloud," be sure copies are on there.
7. Pet & livestock food & supplies. Vet records in case you need to shelter then at a storm-safe facility.
8. Evacuation plans and share with family members so they know where you're headed.
9. Consider putting heirlooms & photos in plastic bins in a high place, second floor, or safe room if you don't plan on taking them with you.
10. SECURE ALL FIREARMS & AMMUNITION PROPERLY.
11. Old rags & beach towels on your windowsills. Even with the best windows & shutters, water seeping from the wind pressure happens. A few damp towels is better than soaked drywall or floors!
12. Shutter windows and doors and bring everything outside into your garage or house NOW. Do not wait until the day before. Better to get done early and relax than wait until its too late, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE MANDATORY PERSONNEL (hospital employee or first responder).
13. If you don't already have your hurricane supplies, you might want to get them now. Shelves are already empty in most places.
14. If you have special needs call 311 and register
15. Have a bucket in the bathroom & fill the tub. Use this water & bucket for flushing.
16. Walk pets during the calm that comes during the eye of the storm.
17. Charge your phone & keep it charged. A car charger is handy for when you lose electricity.
18. Do your laundry now. Everything gets dirty during the clean up & aftermath. You can't wash clothes
Be safe. If you plan on leaving town do it now.
Feel free to copy & paste! Let's share this post & spread the word!